When you start a small business online, you can follow a series of proven steps to ensure your success. I have seen thousands of people start and develop successful businesses in the following ways:
- Find a need and fill it.
- Write copy that sells.
- Design and build an easy-to-use website.
- Use search engines to drive traffic to your site.
- Establish an expert reputation for yourself.
- Follow up with your customers and subscribers with email.
- Increase your income through back-end sales and upselling.
- Anyone, from newbie to seasoned online entrepreneur, can benefit from this process in learning how to start a business online.
1. Find a need and fill it.
Most people who are just starting out make the mistake of looking for products first, and then the market. In order to increase the chance of success, start from the market.
The trick is to find a group of people who are looking for a solution to the problem, but haven’t found many results. The Internet makes this kind of market research easy:
- Visit online forums to see what problems they’re trying to solve.
- Take around on social media to see what questions people ask.
- Do keyword research to find keywords that a lot of people are searching, You can use Google keyword planner.
- Check out your potential competitors by visiting their sites and taking note of what they’re doing to fill the demand.
2. Write copy that sells
There is a validated sales copy formula that guides visitors from the moment they arrive to the moment of purchase to complete the sales process:
- Arouse interest with a compelling headline.
- Describe the problem your product solves.
- Establish your credibility as a solver of this problem.
- Add testimonials from people who have used your product.
- Talk about the product and how it benefits the user.
- Make an offer.
- Make a strong guarantee.
- Create urgency.
- Ask for the sale.
3. Design and build an easy-to-use website
Once you have your market and products, and you have determined your sales process, and now you can prepare for your small business web design. Remember to keep it simple. You have less than five seconds to attract someone’s attention-otherwise, they will disappear and never show up again. Some important tips to remember:
- Choose one or two plain fonts on a white background.
- Make your navigation clear and simple, and the same on every page.
- Only use graphics, audio or video if they enhance your message.
- Include an opt-in offer so you can collect e-mail addresses.
- Make it easy to buy — no more than two clicks between potential customer and checkout.
- Your website is your online storefront, so make it customer-friendly.
Related: ▷ HostGator Web Hosting: Honest Review
4. Use the power of email marketing to turn visitors into buyers
When you construct an opt-in list, you’re creating one of the most precious assets of your on line business. Your customers and subscribers have given you permission to ship them an email. That means:
- You’re giving them something they’ve asked for.
- You’re developing lifetime relationships with them.
- The response is 100 percent measurable.
- Email marketing is cheaper and more effective than print, TV or radio because it’s highly targeted.
5. Increase your income through back-end sales and upselling.
One of the most important internet marketing techniques is to improve each customer’s lifetime value. At least 36 percent of people who have bought from you once will buy from you once more if you observe up with them. Closing that first sale is by way of far the most difficult section — no longer to mention the most costly